ADSM-L

Re: Windows client version for Win/Opteron?

2005-06-30 18:08:10
Subject: Re: Windows client version for Win/Opteron?
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:06:43 -0500
This is very unofficial, but my observations suggest "not soon".  All the
Win-64 versions seem to be getting little to no support anywhere.  Drivers are
sparse, apps are even more sparse, and no one wants to commit to anything when
you bring it up.  I get the feeling there's going to be no substantial amount
of x86-64 support until longhorn.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM 6/30/2005 4:28 PM >>>
I'm looking for a 64-bit version of the TSM client to run on an Opteron
server.( Hp DL585 Opteron, 4 CPUs)

        The 32-bit is working, but we want to see if we can get
performance improvements with a 64-bit version.

        On the FTP site we find a few Windows 64-bit versions but none
will install. We get an "invalid processor type" message.

        Anybody know when/if a 64-bit Opteron version will be available?

Thanks,
Ben

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.