ADSM-L

Re: SANergy - Anyone using it?

2005-06-30 16:03:44
Subject: Re: SANergy - Anyone using it?
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:03:06 +0200
On Thursday 30 June 2005 20:17, Murphy, Christopher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are currently evaluating TSM for use in our environment (expected
> version to be 5.3.x on Linux or Solaris) against Veritas NetBackup.
> Backup via the SAN (i.e. LAN-Free) is crucial to us.  Backing up
> directly to disk (via SAN) is also a high priority.  I know to make this
> happen in TSM we must use SANergy.  I know in the past this product had
> a mixed reception.  I was hoping I might hear from some organizations
> who have used/are using it now for disk-based, SAN-pathed backups.  Is
> SANergy reliable/stable, especially when processing hundreds of GB's
> nightly?  I searched the ADSM.ORG archives, but found little discussion
> of SANergy that was less than years old.  Also, the Redbook for it is 4+
> years old as well.  The IBM web site also seems to be reluctant to offer
> information on SANergy.  I get the feeling it is going away... perhaps
> because of IBM's SAN FS?  Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanx!
Can you provide some more information?  How many clients with how many data to
backup at night?  How many HBA's / server?  Is the data migrated to tape?

I never used/installed SAnergy, but:
- SAN is 2g/s, LAN 1g/s, allmost the same speed
- extra sanergy overhead (maintanence, more that can go wrong, extra
license, ...)
- cost of HBA vs cost of gigabit NIC
- cost of SAN switch vs cost of network switch (you can even use a crosscable
between the NIC's if you want: reliable + sheap)

Also, if you backup over the SAN to tape or with SANergy, the data has still
to pass to the TSM client, so i'ts passing the SAN twice.  I don't think
serverless backup is an option.

I should go for LAN based backups.

Stef