ADSM-L

Re: LTO1 to LTO3

2005-06-22 15:40:53
Subject: Re: LTO1 to LTO3
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:40:41 -0500
Andrew,

Just a couple of things for you to think about.  Since LTO3 drives can
read LTO1 tapes I don't see any reason not to switch all drives over to
LTO3 all at once.  I don't believe there is any need to create new
device class or storage pools if you don't want to.  Obviously you will
be deleting the old LTO1 drive and path definitions and then you just
define the new drives and paths as part of the existing library.  This
is assuming that your device class uses format=drive (which is the
default) and it should pick it up just fine.  However if you are going
to mix LTO1 and LTO3 drives in the library at the same time you need to
be a little more careful.  Please refer to the Admin Reference and Admin
Guide for a more detailed explanation.

Now to empty the existing LTO1 tapes I would first make sure that the
LTO1 are all set read only.  Also, I would make sure there are no LTO1
scratch tapes in the library.  Then put in an amble supply of scratch
LTO3 tapes.  Now all you will need to do is issue move data command for
each of the LTO1 volumes with data on it.  With 8 drives you could be
doing 4 moves at a time if you like.  If you have a large number of
volumes then you could script this quite easily.  Once the LTO1 tape has
had it data moved it will go to the "pending" state and at that time you
could remove it from the library and just let it die on the shelf.  For
your off site copy pool tapes that are LTO1 I would not do anything
special.  When an LTO1 tape comes back on site I would just remove it
from service then.  There is no need to force a move of data from the
off site tapes since whenever you might need them it would be for read
only and the LTO3 drives can do that.

I hope that gives you some more ideas on how to get this done.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Meadows, Andrew wrote:

Hello everyone again.
Current configuration:
TSM version 5.2.1.1
Library 3854
Drives Fibre attached LTO gen 1 (8)

The higher powers here have asked me to make up a plan to migrate from
LTO Gen 1 tapes to LTO Gen 3 tapes. I am putting a plan together and was
wondering if anyone has done this same move and if I am missing
something in my plan.

1) Upgrade to TSM Server version 5.3
2) Hardware removal of 3 LTO Gen 1 drives, replaced with LTO Gen 3
3) New Dev Class for LTO Gen 3
4) New Stg pools for LTO Gen 3
5) Migrate data
6) Remove LTO Gen 1 drives remaining
7) Remove Old Storage pools.

I know this is a rather simplistic list here.
I also have a few questions will I have to change TSM to recognise the
full 8 character labels at this point as well?
Again if anyone has done this please reply, or if you see any
fundemental flaw in my plan.
Thanks,
Andrew

immediately.