ADSM-L

LTO1 to LTO3

2005-06-22 12:08:56
Subject: LTO1 to LTO3
From: "Meadows, Andrew" <AMeadows AT BMI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:08:36 -0500
Hello everyone again.
Current configuration:
TSM version 5.2.1.1
Library 3854
Drives Fibre attached LTO gen 1 (8)

The higher powers here have asked me to make up a plan to migrate from
LTO Gen 1 tapes to LTO Gen 3 tapes. I am putting a plan together and was
wondering if anyone has done this same move and if I am missing
something in my plan.

1) Upgrade to TSM Server version 5.3
2) Hardware removal of 3 LTO Gen 1 drives, replaced with LTO Gen 3
3) New Dev Class for LTO Gen 3
4) New Stg pools for LTO Gen 3
5) Migrate data
6) Remove LTO Gen 1 drives remaining
7) Remove Old Storage pools.

I know this is a rather simplistic list here.
I also have a few questions will I have to change TSM to recognise the
full 8 character labels at this point as well?
Again if anyone has done this please reply, or if you see any
fundemental flaw in my plan.
Thanks,
Andrew

immediately.