ADSM-L

Re: asr and network card

2005-06-22 09:41:25
Subject: Re: asr and network card
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:41:13 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of David E Ehresman
>When my desktop hard drive died a couple of weeks ago, I had
>the chance to "practice" a XP BareMetalRestore.  I also had
>the problem that the XP install CD did not have a driver for
>my network card.  So I installed XP from cd, installed the
>drivers for the network card, then ran the ASR scripts by
>hand.  The only problem I can into was with the restore of
>SYSTEM OBJECTS where windows complained about overwriting
>files.  I told it to allow it and I got a functional system
>but not with the correct settings.  I did a 2nd restore of
>System Objects that restored without complaining and then my
>settings were correct.
>
>If you find a way to include the network card driver on the
>Win CD, please let me know too.

Take a look at the freeware utility nLite (available at
http://nuhi.msfn.org/). It facilitates creation of customized Windows
install images, including SP slipstreams, hardware drivers, and Windows
installation answer files. Great little utility.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627