ADSM-L

Re: Backup Information

2005-06-22 08:47:36
Subject: Re: Backup Information
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:46:49 -0400
Debbie,

We use Servergraph/TSM ro record info like this as well as send out alerts to
contact persons for failed back ups and a host of other reporting and alerting
purposes.  Details at http://www.servergraph.com.  I highly recommend you take
a look at it.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville

>>> Deborah_Bassler AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM 06/21/05 4:10 PM >>>
I was looking at the database tables and trying to find a way to get the
node names, backup start and end times and the amount of data backed up,
into an excel spread sheet. We backup over 100 servers a night and the
operations people manually go throught the activity log to find, and
record,   this info. Just starting this job, I haven't had extra time to
go through any utilites or macros (I'm not even sure where to find them at
this point) that might supply this info. How does everyone else collect
this info?

Currently, we are on TSM 5.1.1 and I'm planning to go to 5.1.9 soon. I
understand there is some reporting capability there....Eventually, we'll
get off AIX 4.3.3 and will be able to use a higher version of TSM....but
until that time I need to make the best of it,,,,

Thanks,
Debbie