ADSM-L

Re: Backup of large server (15+ Million objects)

2005-06-14 11:04:45
Subject: Re: Backup of large server (15+ Million objects)
From: Jonathan Siegle <jsiegle AT PSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:04:45 -0400
Bill Boyer wrote:

Windows 2000 server with TSM client 5.3.0.8.
TSM server 5.2.2.0 on Windows2000

Configured the journal service with a larger notify buffer, but we just can't
get the first incremental to complete.  We see in the server activity log that
the session was terminated by the client. Running in managed services mode.

Any suggestions on backup strategies on this large of a server?

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.

I have a client in the same boat, and the only thing I could think of
was to upgrade to 64bit hardware so the 4 million file limit would get
bumped up.

This is what Tivoli pointed me towards when I asked the same question.
The same concept applies to backups.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?rs=0&context=SSGSG7&q1=1197172&uid=swg21197172&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=&NotUpdateReferer=

From the link:
Solution
This is a restriction due to the nature of a 32bit client. The client
cannot get more memory and is aborting. The client needs around 1KB for
each file in memory. A 32bit client can only address 4GB of memory, this
will be sufficient for 4 million files.

-Jonathan