ADSM-L

Back-up and restore of NTFS security settings give weird results!!!!

2005-06-11 05:26:20
Subject: Back-up and restore of NTFS security settings give weird results!!!!
From: "Bos, Karel" <Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:26:06 +0200
Hi,

We are seeing something really trouble some. After restoring part of one
of our Windows 2003 file clusters the ntfs security settings where
different from expected.

Env.
Server:Win2K ITSM 5.2.4.0
Client:Win2003 Cluster ITSM 5.2.3.4
No excludes for NTFS in opt or clo.

Job performed:
- Moving data to cluster mount point disk;
- Normal incremental back-up;
- Change NTFS settings on all files / dirs;
- copy data to other mount point disk as reverence.
- Normal incremental back-up;
- Format mount point disk;
- dsmc restore.

All files and dirs inherent the basic nfts settings of the root folder.

Some additional restores of other back-up data from other mount points
where performed. Most of this data restored got the same results, but
some file data had the expected (correct) security settings, but then
the directory structure didn't.

Please tell me what is going on!
Please send any hint to my personal mail account also!!

Regards,

Karel