ADSM-L

Re: password

2005-06-08 21:55:45
Subject: Re: password
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:55:25 -0700
Seeing this post prompted me to run a test. It appears that Windows 2003
cluster ensures the replication of the changed password happens right away, not
when the group fails over.

Details:
I have 3 test clusters a Windows 2000 cluster a Windows 2003 cluster and a
Windows 2003 Itanium cluster. I set the password expiration for all the nodes
on all clusters to 1 day.  The next day the password changed as it should. The
registry reflected the new password on all nodes that currently own the group
that TSM service is in.  On the Windows 2003 clusters the password matched.  On
the Windows 2000 cluster the node that did not own the group still had the old
password.  As you suggest a controlled move of the group did update the
password however it took that.  So I see where a system crash would result in
an invalid password on the other side of the cluster.

However, it looks like a Windows 2003 cluster does not have this issue.  I know
that Windows 2000 is still out there but with advanced features like
clustering.  I've found more and more people migrating to Windows 2003 so if
your there you don't have the same fear and thus should be able to use the
password expiration.

"Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM> wrote:
Hi,

The answer is that "it depends".

1) For the normal backup/archive client and the ms-sql and
ms-exchange clients, this is no problem. They will change their
passwords without issue.
2) The oracle client cannot change its password on its own.
3) Microsoft clusters (IMHO) should still be set to 0. Here is why
(from experience no less). The encrypted password for a B/A client is
stored in the registry. The manual states that you need to have the
generic service you setup in cluster administrator copy over this reg
key when the service moves. This only works in the world where servers
don't crash. If the server crashes, the key does not get copied (how
can it...the server that had it is down) and the service can fail to
start (likely because it has the old password).
4) Unix B/A has no problem with this.

Others may be able to speak to the domino clients, etc as I have no
experience with them.

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health