ADSM-L

Re: Threshold on Copypool relcamation

2005-06-08 16:26:19
Subject: Re: Threshold on Copypool relcamation
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:26:04 -0500
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Debbie Bassler wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone reclaims copy storage pools. Currently, we
> execute a schedule to reclaim space from our copy storage pool using the
> upd stgp copypool recl=80 command, this is scheduled for 15:00. Then we
> have a schedule to set the threshold back to 100%, using the upd stgp
> copypool recl=100 command at 18:00, but that doesn't work. We usually
> cancel it manually after 23:00.

I suspect when you say "that doesn't work" you mean that setting recl=100
doesn't kill any ongoing reclamation process (but that it does set the
reclamation threshhold back to 100%)?  If so, then that's behaving
normally; the reclamation threshhold is only used by the TSM server to
determine whether or not it should start a reclamation process.  Once that
process is running, it will normally run to completion regardless of what
the reclamation threshhold is subsequently set to.

  I took TSM classes about 4 years ago,
> and my book recommends leaving the threshold 100%, meaning no
> reclamation will occur. Once all offsite volumes go into an empty status
> we can bring them back.

I think what you do just depends on your needs and resources; if you have
plenty of tapes, you can afford to do things this way.  It may take quite
a while for tapes to empty off, as the data on them expires only after the
files become inactive (which could be 'never' for lots of clients).

If you don't have an infinite supply of tapes, then reclamation seems
reasonable; the higher the reclamation percentage you use, the 'more
empty' a tape will be when it becomes eligible for reclamation.  That can
still mean a lot of mounts of primary pool tapes, though, in order to
create a new copy pool tape containing that still-good data; this is the
case if the primary pool is collocated and the copy pool is not, which is
a pretty common scenario, I think.

So you've gotta have a couple of tape drives free for a while in order to
do the reclamation.

> Our versions info - versions data exists, versions data deleted, retain
> extra versions, and retain only version are all set to 7. Wouldn't the
> tape empty after 7 days?

Only if all the data on the tape has gone inactive (files deleted from the
client machine's disk, or newer versions of files backed up).

Hope this helps,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT