ADSM-L

Re: reclamation tape predicting

2005-06-07 11:23:18
Subject: Re: reclamation tape predicting
From: Bill Dourado <bill.dourado AT ALSTEC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:22:57 +0100
Few years back I was in a similar suitation. I had  300 online tapes but
only 60 slots.

I first of all  made sure   that I only   would perform restores !

I left all the online tapes that couldn't be housed in the library as
"available" close by.

They  were mostly "full" and "readonly."

When I needed to do reclamation  I used to set mountwait to 1 minute,
so that after one minute if tape was available reclamtation would end.

UPDATE DEVCLASS  device-class_name MOUNTWAIT=1

UPDATE STG COPYTAPEPOOL RECLAIM=60

Ran reclamtion for a while, say 30 mins, and ended up with a list of tapes
required, from
the activity log.

UPDATE STG COPYTAPEPOOL RECLAIM=100

I then checked in the tapes made them available and repeated reclamation.

I similarly ran large restores, with restores always remembering to update
mountwait to 60
or even longer, after the first trial run .

Bill

Matthew Large <Matthew.Large AT AVIVA DOT COM>
07/06/2005 15:03