ADSM-L

Re: Copying Exported Volumes

2005-06-01 14:35:39
Subject: Re: Copying Exported Volumes
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:35:17 -0400
==> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:03:03 -0500, "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT
BERBEE DOT COM> said:

> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
> Behalf Of Pretorius Louw <louw AT sun.ac DOT za>

>> I want to use Export for longterm retention without impact on my DB, BUT I
>> will need more than one copy of the volume, how does ons make a copy of an
>> Exported volume?

> One doesn't. One runs multiple exports.

I got this answer to the question "How does one make a copy of a DB backup",
once.  I have accomplished the copy-of-DB-backup by making my DB backups to a
remote server device class.  Since this data (in the opinion of the receiving
server) is just some archives, you have the usual set of options in making
extra copies.  As a bonus, I was able to "stack" multiple DB backups on one
physical volume, thus saving lots of space.

Is there a reason a similar method might not work for Pretorius?

I would actually recommend using a backupset, rather than an export, but the
theory ought to be the same.  You're going to have to do -something- odd to
make use of it, so the retrieve-backupset-and-use-on-disk procedure is as good
as import-node-and-use-from-server procedure.

- Allen S. Rout