ADSM-L

Re: Question about mirrored DB volumes

2005-05-27 13:55:41
Subject: Re: Question about mirrored DB volumes
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:55:26 -0500
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you continue to use TSM mirroring for
all parts of it.

There have been lively debates as to whether TSM mirroring, OS
mirroring, or hardware/microcode RAID is best for the database. Some
combinations are known to be dangerous for data integrity - OS mirroring
on raw volumes. And RAID5 can actually hamper TSM database performance.
But since you are using TSM mirroring, you are safe from the standpoint
of integrity, and you are at least "pretty good" from the standpoint of
performance. I myself have futzed around with all kinds of combinations,
enough to call it a hobby, but at the moment I'm back to using TSM
mirroring because I need its flexibility in spreading out the database
across different disk architectures and different OS structures such as
AIX Volume Groups.

TSM's disk storage pools are 50% write, and so are not a good candidate
for RAID5 either. It will cost some disks, but you'll find that
switching these to mirroring will speed up client backups. You can buy a
pre-owned A1000 array (IBM'ers: very similar to SSA) for the cost of
tickets to a ballgame and a sack of peanuts these days, so why not just
get more?

====== "If you're a UNIX user, all UNIX are pretty much the same. ======
== If you're a UNIX programmer, all UNIX are a little bit different. ===
== If you're a UNIX system admin, all UNIX are completely different!" ==
== --Bob Koehler, Hubble Space Telescope Payload Flight Software Team ==