ADSM-L

Re: Question on Daily process flow

2005-05-26 08:28:36
Subject: Re: Question on Daily process flow
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:27:42 -0400
Enough so that you don't have to worry about whether you off-site processing is
going to get down before the offsite run is made.

We have 13 3590Es in a 3494.  We keep them busy from about 7am to 7pm with
about an hour break to do expiration.

David

>>> Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM 05/25/05 1:21 PM >>>
How many tape drives??

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD

                      David E Ehresman
                      <deehre01@LOUISVI        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      LLE.EDU>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Question on Daily
process flow
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/25/2005 01:23
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Sounds like you could use a few more tapes drives.  Our nightly volume
varies from about 0.5 TB to 1.2 TB.  I have about 240 GB disk primary
storage pool.

David

>>> Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM 05/25/05 11:37 AM >>>
Thanks David,

I cannot run this way because of time constraints.  I only have 368 GB of
disk and I back up 1+ TB of data almost every night, over 80% 10/100 MB
line, granted the big guys are on an SP node GB+ line.  Our daily DR starts
around 5:30 am and we usually get done around 12:00 noon, while DV picks up
around 13:30 pm.  In your schema it would take me too long to wait for disk
and then do tape, I try to get the critical (DR) done and the SLA for the
noncritical (in a DR situation) would be 1 day old vs the up to the morning
(after 13:30 pick up) on the critical DR.

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD

                      David E Ehresman
                      <deehre01@LOUISVI        To:
                      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      LLE.EDU>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Question on
                      Daily process flow
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/25/2005 11:21
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

My daily process flow is centered around the need to be able to restore in
a DR situation.

So

1) clients backup data to TSM disk and tape primary storage pools
2) Backup stg for disk storage pools to copy pool tape
3) backu stg for tape storage pools to copy pool tape
(we backup from disk first and then from tape to minimize tape mounts)

At this point I have my DR restore point so I document it and get it
offsite as soon as I can:

4) backup DB
5) move drm to move tapes offsite
6) move drm to update tapes coming onsite (so that dr plan doesn't document
tapes that are no longer there
7) prepare plan to document the recovery point; it is tied to the backup db
I just did and relfelcts the state of tapes that I am now sending off and
retriving from offsite.
8) email drplan to offsite email addresses of tsm support team members
9) we do backup volhist and devconfig but they are not used for DR.  The
DRPlan generated by the prepare command contain the backup copy of volhist
and devconfig we use for DR.

Now that we have a DR restore point we can do other housekeeping chores;

9) expire inventory to cleanup db entries
10) migrate the primary disk storage volumes to primary tape volumes
11) reclaim processing to free up tapes for the scratch pool

Not on a daily basis, but when we make significant changes to the tsm
server machine, we do a sysback backup of the tsm machine and send a copy
to the offiste vault and additional copies to the homes of tsm team
members.  This tape is the starting point of the DR.  If you can't restore
or rebuild tsm you can't restore anything else.

David Ehresman

>>> cheikel AT PSU DOT EDU 05/24/05 9:18 AM >>>
Oh Wise Ones,

What order do you run the following processes in each day?

Backup Storage Pools
Backup TSM Db
Backup Volhist
Migrate diskpools to tape
Move drmedia
Run Drm Prepare

I am asking because when we do our DR tests It always seems that I end
up having to restore to a point in time 1 day earlier than I think I
should. I am preparing to rework the daily schedule to try to avoid this
and wanted to know how everyone else does it.

Thanks in advance,
cory

*****E-Mail Confidentiality Notice*****
This message (including any attachments) contains information intended
for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to
applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply
to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from
  your system immediately.