ADSM-L

Re: archive in TDP for DBS

2005-05-24 10:11:14
Subject: Re: archive in TDP for DBS
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:10:56 -0400
One problem I ran into at a client site was with the transaction logs. You can
set up different nodenames to backup the once
weekly/monthly full backups, but a portion of that backup is a log file. When
you do the restore, you do the physical first..the
full database and then replay the logs. But the daily logs are under a
different nodename to TSM than the partial log that is under
the weekly/monthly nodename. So the logical restore will fail.

You should also not run the onmsync (?) utility! This will sync the sysutils
file with the entries in TSM. If you run this under the
daily nodename, then the weekly/monthly backups will be purged from the
sysutils table. And I don't believe you can restore if you
don't have an entry in the sysutils table.

Just my $.02.

Bill Boyer
"Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield" - ??