ADSM-L

Re: Scratch tape questions

2005-05-18 10:33:21
Subject: Re: Scratch tape questions
From: Dave Zarnoch <zarnocd AT NATIONWIDEPROVIDENT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:32:52 -0400
John,

Thanks!

It's been very helpful...

A question on reclamation....

I have the following occurring constantly during reclamation:

05/17/05   11:41:12      ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume
304048,

                          storage pool EAGLECOPY (process number 8619).

05/17/05   11:50:02      ANR1163W Offsite volume 304048 still contains
files which
                          could not be moved.

05/17/05   11:50:02      ANR1041I Space reclamation ended for volume
304048.

This has occurred for 8 tapes in the last 24 hours.

Why is TSM attempting to use this tape for reclamation when it has been
labeled as "vault" and is "offsite"?

Thanks!

DaveZ

                      "Talafous, John"

                      <john.talafous@BE        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      RBEE.COM>                cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: [ADSM-L] Scratch
tape questions
                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      05/13/2005 04:13

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

I always say, "The only naïve/stupid/dumb question you have is the one you
don't ask."

1.) Previously answered by Mr. Stapleton

2.) There are ways to manually audit (and I have done this) the various
entries for TSM Tapes. Tapes are either in the DRMEDIA inventory and
offsite, onsite and used by a storage pool, offsite and unused or onsite
and unused.  This is a complex process and must be approached carefully.
But very doable!!! Contact me if you desire additional information.

3.) Run an SQL SELECT statement to list your environment's tape inventory.
I like to look at volumes used by STGPOOL as well as TSM Library inventory
levels.
    A: Volumes used by STGPOOL:
         select stgpool_name,devclass_name,count(*) as VOLUMES from volumes
group by stgpool_name,devclass_name
         NOTE: This will list volumes for ALL device classes, not just
tape.
    B: TSM Library inventory:
         select count(*) as Volumes,status,library_name,owner,last_use from
libvolumes group by library_name,owner,status,last_use
         NOTE: This will report volumes used in a TSM Library sharing
environment. If NOT in library sharing, you may have to alter accordingly.

Watch your stgpool volume utilizations from #3.a and your scratch count
availability from #3.b. Hopefully, you are able to maintain a healthy
scratch count. If not, these queries will let you know. You could also add
a report to show reclamation opportunities by storage pool to assist
determining where to focus your reclamation efforts.

John G. Talafous
Berbee Information Networks
john.talafous AT berbee DOT com
http://www.berbee.com