ADSM-L

Matching backups to session numbers

2005-05-18 04:54:26
Subject: Matching backups to session numbers
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:48:48 +0100
Hello *SM'ers

We are currently looking for a way to match all the processes together
that occurr for a single backup session.

For example,

We have a host backed up LanFree, the storage agent is on the same host.

A dsmc process starts, unix gives it a PID and we know what filesystem
is it's target.

What we would like to then do, is match that process up with the
sessions started on the storage agent and the TSM server, se we can
unambiguously say something along the lines of,

PID: (pid)
backing up: (filesystem)
Has sessions: x,y on Storage Agent, using volume Z in drive N
Has sessions: a,b on TSM server, using volume Z in drive N

Drive / volume info isnt hard, but we cant see a way to guarantee
matching the dsmc PID with the various sessions on the StorageAgent and
the TSM Server.

Anyone tried anything similar ?

Matt.

Computer says 'No'..

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by
those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any
distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Powergen Retail
Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is
responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Powergen Retail Limited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4
8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432