ADSM-L

Re: Diskpool question

2005-05-14 17:56:00
Subject: Re: Diskpool question
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:47:28 -0500
I will not disagree that there may be a better way to configure our disks, I
was trying to point out one way to determine how to configure the disk pools or
determine that the disk pools are a problem.
We have had many talks with EMC, they said early on that the RAID group size
was optimized for a particular number of disks as you described.  When we went
to Flare 12 they said that was no longer true.  It is hard to tell when the
information we get from EMC is correct or not.
In our case, the disks are not a bottleneck.  We run our trunked 2Gb Ethernet
at or near 75% and we see over 20MB/sec on our 3590-E tape drives.
On your ATA drives, how do you have your storage pools broken up?  What size
are the STG volumes?  What size are the LUNs?  320 or 250GB disks?  We will be
upgrading all of the backend parts to our TSM servers this summer.

Andy Huebner