ADSM-L

Re: Re Windows 2000 client reconfiguration

2005-05-14 17:10:37
Subject: Re: Re Windows 2000 client reconfiguration
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:00:42 -0500
Farren,

>From our experience, this is the problem: "Configure a new server and copy
the data across
> in such a way that it doesn't look like it's changed."

Our main file servers have been on five different physical machines in the
eight years I've been here.  Our attempts to "copy" data from one file
server to another have always caused TSM to grab a new copy of the entire
server.  One issue is that Microsoft's tools - xcopy, ncopy, and pcopy -
all "copy" permissions but not inheritance.  So a folder on the source
that inherits certain permissions from its parent will have the same
permissions APPLIED on the copy.  From Windows' perspective that is an ACL
change, so TSM grabs a new copy.  Worse, it means that any changes you
intend to apply at the top of the directory tree dead-end at that level.
You must then force the inheritance down the tree, which means ANOTHER ACL
change and another copy of the file server pulled into TSM.

If you're going to pull in a copy of the entire server anyway, I would
recommend that you get your permissions, inheritance, auditing, etc. as
close to perfect as possible BEFORE launching the first post-migration
backup.  And do as much with groups as possible.  Adding just one user ID
to the top of a directory tree will provoke a very large backup session.

Good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/12/2005
03:08:20 AM: