ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log filling up quickly, too quickly. Ideas?

2005-05-09 13:11:16
Subject: Re: Recovery log filling up quickly, too quickly. Ideas?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:09:17 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of John C Dury
>As several people suggested, what is happening is that I have
>at least one
>client session that is seemingly hung and causing the recovery
>log to be
>pinned. I've tried cancelling the session but it doesn't work and just
>hangs. It never seems to timeout either. Any other way to cancel the
>session without having to take the whole server down? My
>recovery log is
>filling up again and this hung session is causing the recovery
>log to be
>pinned. Any clues why the session wouldn't ever timeout or
>also fail to be cancelled?

Not really. It could be a corrupt file (or filesystem) on the client.

I would:

1. Take the offending client off of its schedule.
2. Stop and restart the TSM server service after all other activity is
quiesced.
3. Carefully examine the dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log files to try to
determine the offending bit.
4. Tell the offender's owner the problem and work together to come to a
resolution.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627