ADSM-L

Re: TSM db on ESS (shark) disk

2005-05-03 05:06:35
Subject: Re: TSM db on ESS (shark) disk
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:06:36 +0200
Hi David!
We are not there yet, but we will also use an ESS for the database volumes
in the very near future.
The way which TSM uses it's database (which isn't very intelligent by the
way) makes it very important to allocate as much volumes as possible. So
rather 20 small ones than two large volumes. Each client session or server
transaction locks a database volume, so if you want to minimize contention,
allocate as much volumes as possible.
>From experience I noticed that TSM performs better with 2 database volumes
on one physical disk than with one larger volume taking up the whole disk.
This seems rather strange (you want to prevent excessive head movements
between the two volumes on the same disk) but I have proven in practice that
the TSM database performs better!
So depending on your LUN size you can create one or more database volumes
per LUN.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines