ADSM-L

Re: binding TSM server to specific ip-addresses

2005-04-30 10:42:55
Subject: Re: binding TSM server to specific ip-addresses
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:42:38 -0700
Just because they listen on every NIC doesn't mean they will all get used. We
have TSM servers with 4 GB NIC's.  We have 4 TSM instances on it.  Each one has
a seperate Port.  Of course all 4 TSM instances will respond to requests coming
into any of the NIC's. However in our client dsm.opt files we specify a
specific IP when going to the server.  As a result we ensure our client traffic
only uses one GB NIC for a particular instance.  Further, should that NIC ever
go bad we simply have to update the DNS alias for that NIC to point to a
different one and because all TSM instances listen on all NIC's the traffic
will be easily redirected until the NIC is fixed.

Which NIC is used is controlled by what IP's or DNS name you use in the dsm.opt
file.

Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL> wrote:
Hi All,

We are running TSM v. 5.2.3 on AIX 5.2. Currently all of our TSM server
instances listen on all IP addresses configured in the OS. I was
wondering if anyone has found a way to make the TSM server not listen
for connections on one or more ip-addresses. I'm sure this would be very
usefull in my environment.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 3000 Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams