ADSM-L

Re: Linux - vmware problem

2005-04-27 15:31:17
Subject: Re: Linux - vmware problem
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:30:53 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Levi, Ralph
>Has anyone seen this running TSM 5.2.3 Linux client on vmware server
>(Linux host server backup)
>
>04/27/05   14:40:58 TransErrno: Unexpected error from open, errno = 16
>04/27/05   14:41:00 ANS1028S Internal program error.  Please see your
>service representative.
>04/27/05   14:41:00 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'ONE_TIME_BACKUP' failed.
>Return code = 12.

(This statement assumes you're using VMWare ESX. If you're using GSX,
what I say may not apply.)

I rather suspect it has to do with the fact that the files containing
your VMs (*.dsk) are actually written onto a filesystem that is
formatted as VMFS. VMFS filesystems cannot be directly backed up with
the TSM client for Linux; the client does not support them.

The workaround is to use the virtualmountpoint parameter. So you would
want to back up everything else on the VMWare server under one nodename,
and create a second nodename for the *.dsk backups, and use the option

     virtualmountpoint <directory tree containing *.dsk files>

when you define the schedule that backs up only the VM files. Remember
also that your *.dsk files cannot be given a valid backup unless you
shut down the VM contained with the file; otherwise, the backups will
most likely be invalid.

There is a rumor running about that there will be TSM client support for
VMWare's .dsk files (while hot) in a future release of the client.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627