ADSM-L

Re: Client Backup Schedule - Object field.

2005-04-26 10:06:51
Subject: Re: Client Backup Schedule - Object field.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:06:13 -0400
On Apr 26, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Warren, Matthew (Retail) wrote:

You mentioned something here I was wondering about just an hour ago..

I noticed that the DB tables for backups and archives specifiy
1024chars
for the pathname, and 512chars for the filename. Is this long enough to
encompass the maximim path/filename length of all systems that TSM is
able to backup?

Hi, Matt -

Now, would the developers not accommodate the maximum path length of
all supported client systems? :-)

From what I've seen, the actual length limit for modern file system
paths is 1023. The AIX limit is defined on PATH_MAX in
/usr/include/sys/limits.h. The Windows limit is confusing, as you would
expect in Windows, but seems to be 1023. (See
http://www.osronline.com/lists_archive/ntfsd/thread5355.html)

   Sims, Richard   (Educational pricing)