ADSM-L

Re: TSM causing client disk contention

2005-04-25 19:34:13
Subject: Re: TSM causing client disk contention
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:33:54 -0500
Paul,

Yes, We've noticed this.

Our solutions:
* Start backups when users have supposedly gone home.
* Don't do 'hot backups'.  Have the application export its own backup to
a flat file (preferably on another file system), then backup up the flat
file.
* Just backup what you MUST daily, then do another schedule to pick up
the 'other stuff' on weekends. (Like, pick up user home directories and
data directories daily, backup the OS and software weekly, since I
changes little.  This keeps down the time to query the database about
whether or not something has been backed up.
* Use journaling locally (we have issues with it, but when it works it
helps)

These hints don't make all problems disappear, but they help.