ADSM-L

Re: Storage pools questions

2005-04-22 13:32:53
Subject: Re: Storage pools questions
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:32:42 -0400
==> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:32:46 -0000, James Marcinek <jmarc1 AT jemconsult
DOT biz> said:

> I have a small lab environment which I'm in the process of deploying TSM and
> I have some concerns that I'm hoping that someone could help me out with. I
> don't have a lot of disk space to alot to storage pools and I believe that
> my initial backups will exceed the space available. The disk pools should be
> adequate from day to day backups though. From the disk, the data will go
> straight to tape.  Will there be any issues if my initial backups exceed the
> space on the disk pool? I'll only be adding one system at a time to the
> backup policy. Once the initial has been done for each system I should be
> OK.

You might find that on initial backup you fill up the disk, and then mount a
tape, and write to the tape at a rate which is slower than your disk rate
(because it's hard to keep a tape streaming).  But you shouldn't see
problems except in how long it takes.

- Allen S. Rout