ADSM-L

Re: Questions about storage pools

2005-04-21 13:28:29
Subject: Re: Questions about storage pools
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:28:09 -0400
"From the disk, the data will go straight to tape"

I assume by that you mean you have your disk storage pool defined so
that "NEXTSTGPOOL" points to your primary tape storage pool - that's the
normal/recommended setup.   Also, highmigpct for the diskpool should be
set to something less than 100, so that migration can start
automatically.

When your client initial backup starts, it will send data to the
diskpool; when the diskpool reaches > highmigpct full, migration will
start automatically, and TSM will be pushing data to tape at the same
time the client is pushing data to the disk - that's the beauty of TSM!

Even if your client fills the disk pool faster than migration to the
tape can clear it, by default what will happen when the diskpool gets to
100% full, is that the client(s) will stop sending to disk and wait
politely for a tape mount to write the data to.  (That is, unless you
have the client defined with maxnummp=0, which prevents it from writing
to tape directly.)   Backups go slower that way, because only 1 client
at a time can write to the tape, whereas ALL of them can write to the
diskpool at once; but at least it keeps going.  Again, the beauty of TSM
- the server tries to keep your backups running, even if your diskpool
fills up

So if you are set up in the recommended manner, it will work nicely,
even if you push more data than the diskpool can hold.  If I were in
your position, for the initial push I would just set the diskpool
highmigpct lower than usual (say 50%) to make sure that TSM gets
migration started early enough that migration can keep up with the data
coming from the clients.

Hope that helps.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)