ADSM-L

Splitting TSM ...

2005-04-21 11:39:21
Subject: Splitting TSM ...
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:38:50 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

Well, I've decided it's just about time to bite the bullet and split my
260GB TSM database into two or more.  My plan is to have a "TSM_DR"
(disaster recovery), and maybe two others (TSM_A and TSM_B), which can have
their load split by client platform or TSM client type or some other scheme
to attempt to equalize the DB size.  The TSM_DR  will only contain those
clients that we have designated to be reovered in a site disaster... this
will reduce the time required to restore the database at the DR site.

I plan to share our STK L700, with the TSM_DR acting as library server.
I've already tested this and I'm satisfied that it will work.  My question
for you all is, how to move the "DR" storage pools and volumes from the
existing TSM to TSM_DR.  We've come up with two possibilities:

- Export/Import...  this is the obvious approach, and probably what Tivoli
would recommend, but it will take a while.
- Duplicate the existing database, and then delete what does not belong in
each; then shrink them down to appropriate size.  I think this could be
done in a day.

Does anyone see any reason why the second approach would not work?
Is there another method that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs