ADSM-L

Re: Re Expiration of Files and Directories

2005-04-20 10:45:46
Subject: Re: Re Expiration of Files and Directories
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:45:12 -0400
Direcories may expire, but files never end up in "limbo". Examine the
BACKUPS table: each object is fully identified by filespace and its
full path, which obviously includes its containing directory. Backing
up a directory, as an object, is usually rather meaningless in a Unix
environment as such directories have no supplementary info. In a
Windows environment, there is a lot of supplementary info, which is why
Windows directories end up in storage pools while traditional Unix
directories are simply identified in the TSM database.

In a restoral, surrogate replacement directory info is planted where
either the dir is not in the TSM db, or has not yet been encountered in
Restore Order. The absence of a directory in TSM is problematic in GUI
restorals, where the GUI wants to present each dir as you navigate down
the path tree: this can cause the GUI to go no further. TSM wants
directories to exist at least as long as contained objects, for a
reason.

   Richard Sims