ADSM-L

backupset clean-up

2005-04-20 07:30:37
Subject: backupset clean-up
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:29:47 -0400
Hello Everyone!

I create backupsets for DR purposes and I create them with a retention of
22 days.  The day after creation I query the server for all backupsets
created within the past day and then I have the tapes ejected and sent to
our vault.  I believe I might have the idea of how to bring them back
skewed.  If they have a retention period of 22 days and I run expiration
every day, on the 23rd day will the backupsets be unknown to the TSM
server?  Here is an example:

3/1/05 - Create backupset
3/23/05 - backupset is 22 days old
3/24/05 - run expiration
3/24/05 - the tape is deleted from the volume history

So I think that I would have to request the tape to come back from the
vault on 3/23/05.   Or is the best method to set the retention to 30 days,
request the tapes to come back on the 23rd day and then run a delete
volhist type=backupset begind=today-22?  Please let me know if you have any
suggestions and does anyone have such a process scripted?  I believe that I
can place all of the generate backupset jobs within 1 script and run them
with wait=yes, but is there a way to query the system after the job is run
for all backupset tapes just created?  And would you just run a query
everyday for any backupsets > 22 days old and then send the request to the
vaulting company or is there a more efficient way of handling this?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603