ADSM-L

TSM Point in Time Restore Question

2005-04-19 15:08:26
Subject: TSM Point in Time Restore Question
From: pj <ihearttsm AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:53:02 -0700
I will attemp to describe the background and my problem, it's my first
time posting though so if some of the terminology is a bit off, I
apoligize.

I'm trying to restore files originally backed up to a netware server.
 Restoring back to a netware server using 4.5.3 of the tsm agent for
netware.  I've setup the java web agent so I can administer restores
from a GUI.

I want to a Point in Time restore from two years ago.  I select the
time and date and I notice that all of the files are actually from
about 4 years ago.  Those aren't the files that I want.  So I turned
off Point in Time and just selected to view all active/inactive files.
 I noticed that for one example of the file, there are about 24
instances of the file that were backedup between the date I selected
for Point in Time and the date of backup actually displayed by the web
GUI.

There's actually tons of these files that going through and selecting
each of them using the active/inactive view isn't practical.  Any
thoughts or ideas?  I'm going to try doing the restore from a command
line using /pitr and see if I get the same results, but I want to ask
of y'all if either there's a bug, or I'm doing something wrong, or
what, because this behavior just doesn't seem right.

Of another note, I'm not sure how it picked thw 4 years back date for
the files, as those weren't even the first backup dates for those
files.  There were another 5 dates of backups prior to the date that
appeared in the GUI for the backup date displayed using the Point in
Time.

Thank you for your help.