ADSM-L

Re: Backup W2003 slow

2005-04-14 08:10:32
Subject: Re: Backup W2003 slow
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:09:30 -0400
On Apr 14, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Wolfram.May AT LINDE-KCA DOT COM wrote:

backup from a W2003-Server is very slow, when I use a scheduled backup.
Backup via CLI works with normaly and high speed ( and over batchfile
).

What is the reason ?

Without details, we can only generally advise you on this...
The two obvious differences would be time of day (where you probably
tried the comparative CLI type backup during the day, whereas scheduled
backups probably run overnight) and that scheduled backups include
PRESchedulecmd and POSTSchedulecmd involvement. Time of day may make a
big difference in what else is running in that system, which can at
times make for a lot of contention for file access, as seen in backup
log Retries. It may also be that certain sets of files see updating at
a certain time of day, where they would be backup candidates only then.
Compare the contents of your two backup logs. The configuration of your
TSM server is also a substantial factor, where over-demand for tape
drives at peak period can cause some clients to wait for resources, for
example.

Beyond that, see the "Backup performance" topic in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts for factors we have communally
experienced. If you still need input, post again, providing salient
details (hardware info, service pack level, TSM software levels,
particulars from the backups, etc.

   Richard Sims