ADSM-L

Re: del volhist

2005-04-13 09:32:20
Subject: Re: del volhist
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:31:50 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of David E Ehresman

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Talafous, John
>Using the "del volhist" command in conjunction with DRM may potentially
>cause deletion of DB backup tapes that are vaulted. Hence, TSM DRM will
>not process the volume via vault retrieve.
>
>If you do both, be sure your "DRM DB Backup Series Expiration Days"
>value in DRM is less than the TODate value of the "del
>volhist" command.
>
>For example, DRM DB Backup Series Expiration Days = 7
>"Del volhist todate=today-30"

Well, there *are* reasons to run DEL VOLHISTORY periodically, in order
to keep really old volume history entries from piling up in the TSM
database. I normally have customers run something like this:

        del volh type=dbb todate=today-180
        del volh type=dbs todate=today-180
        del volh type=stgdelete todate=today-180
        del volh type=stgnew todate=today-180
        del volh type=stgreuse todate=today-180
        del volh type=rpffile todate=today-10

(The number of days for the "type=rpfile" matches the number of days set
by DRMDBBACKUPEXPIRE and DRMRPFEXPIREDAYS.)

The reason I don't normally recommend "type=all" is that doing so will
remove all references to export tapes and backupsets.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627