ADSM-L

Re: Question on SETUP

2005-04-08 14:22:15
Subject: Re: Question on SETUP
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:21:58 -0400
Yet another opinion:

If you are running TSM HSM, that requires 24x7 availability.  Then you
should mirror both DB and logs.

If you are NOT running TSM HSM, a lot of TSM installations can actually
afford to have TSM down a couple of hours.
SO what I usually do, when I have the DB on a RAID device, is just to
mirror the recovery log.

That way, if you DO lose the DB due to some type of logical corruption,
you can always restore from your last DB backup, and roll forward from
the log.  So you lose no data, just some time.

It's adequate protection, if you can afford the time.

(That assumes you run in ROLLFORWARD mode, which you SHOULD be doing,
and you are very religious about your DB backups, which you SHOULD be!)