ADSM-L

Re: Help me convincing IBM please!!!!

2005-04-07 08:15:41
Subject: Re: Help me convincing IBM please!!!!
From: Cory Heikel <cheikel AT PSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:14:58 -0400
ACTIVITY                     Date                Objects Examined Up/Hr
------------------     ----------
---------------------------------
EXPIRATION             2005-03-08
1717200
EXPIRATION             2005-03-09
2077200
EXPIRATION             2005-03-10
1994400
EXPIRATION             2005-03-11
1591200
EXPIRATION             2005-03-12
2242800
EXPIRATION             2005-03-13
2095200
EXPIRATION             2005-03-14
1875600
EXPIRATION             2005-03-15
1782000
EXPIRATION             2005-03-16
1882800
EXPIRATION             2005-03-18
1724400
EXPIRATION             2005-03-19
1832400
EXPIRATION             2005-03-20
1958400
EXPIRATION             2005-03-23
1508400
EXPIRATION             2005-03-27
2134800
EXPIRATION             2005-03-29
1512000
EXPIRATION             2005-04-01
2559600
EXPIRATION             2005-04-02
2746800
EXPIRATION             2005-04-03
2768400
EXPIRATION             2005-04-05
1051200
EXPIRATION             2005-04-06
1836000

PCT_UTILIZED     AVAIL_SPACE_MB
------------     --------------
        83.0              47536

*****E-Mail Confidentiality Notice*****
This message (including any attachments) contains information intended
for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to
applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply
to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from
your system immediately.

>>> Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM 04/07/05 5:57 AM >>>
Hi *SM-ers!
Please help me with this and take the time to read this request!!!!

We're having serious performance problems with our TSM database. Part
of the
discussion with IBM is how expiration should perform.
A technical document on the TSM website stated that one should be able
expire 3.8 million objects per hour. As soon as I referred to this
document
("How to determine when disk tuning is needed") IBM removed it from
their
site!!!!
Expiration runs at a speed of 140.000 objects per hour in my shop an I
know
for sure that some of you are running at 3.8 million or more and I like
prove this to IBM.

I'm begging for your help with this. I would like to ask you to issue
the
following SQL statements on your TSM server(s) and send the output
directly
to me: Eric-van.Loon AT klm DOT com:

select activity, cast ((end_time) as date) as "Date" ,(examined/cast
((end_time-start_time) seconds as decimal(18,13)) *3600) "Objects
Examined
Up/Hr" from summary where activity='EXPIRATION' and days (end_time)
-days(start_time)=0

select pct_utilized, avail_space_mb from db

The first statement calculates your expiration performance
(objects/hour)
and the second one lists your database size and utilization.
Thank you VERY much for sending me your statistics in advance, I
REALLY
appreciate it!!!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If
you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail
or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any
other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly
prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its
subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect
or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.