ADSM-L

Re: Scripts output

2005-04-03 09:03:37
Subject: Re: Scripts output
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:03:10 -0400
On Apr 3, 2005, at 6:44 AM, Robert Ouzen wrote:

Hi to all

Did is a way to retrieve  from the database all my scripts I created
in one run , I meant not just the output of all the script in one file
that I can get running:

    q script  f=r outputfile=my.script

But every  script by himself (name and contains) , I have a lot of
scripts and I don't want to run an output  one by one as:

 q script bla.bla f=r > bla.bla

My TSM Server Version is 5.2.4.2 on Aix/RS 6000

My longstanding recommendation regarding server scripts is that they be
maintained as individual files in the OS file system, outside the TSM
server, and then after changes replace the server copy via 'DELete
SCRipt' and then 'DEFine SCRipt ... File=...'. That would inherently
provide what you are seeking, with zero extra effort, also affording
the benefit of having a safety copy of your server scripts which can be
readily reviewed and maintained.

A first alternative is to maintain a prolog at the top of each server
script which, in the combined stream from your 'q script  f=r
outputfile=my.script', will allow you to readily split that output file
into representative script files. (Documentation prologs are highly
recommended.)

A second alternative is to formulate a Select to generate a macro which
you can then run to individually generate individual output files. That
is, you run a Select which causes tailored Query Script commands to be
generated in a single macro, which you can thereafter edit to strip off
the inevitable column headings and then run. Play with the following to
suit your needs:

SELECT DISTINCT 'Query SCRipt' as "             ", -
 NAME as "                                 ", -
 'Format=Raw O=' as "             ", -
 NAME as "                                 " -
 FROM SCRIPTS > /var/tmp/query.macro

        Richard Sims      http://people.bu.edu/rbs