ADSM-L

Re: No GUI appearing for backup/restore

2005-03-29 09:53:11
Subject: Re: No GUI appearing for backup/restore
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:52:17 -0500
Hey, no run-on sentences, Tim.  :-)
I take the error message to be "The page cannot be displayed" and that
it is the Web GUI interface being employed. We don't know if this has
ever worked for you. Be sure that you are using a modern web browser,
and going at the HTTPport number defined in the system. You can usually
test web service accessibility by doing 'telnet <WebServerHostname>
<PortNumber>', then enter Ctrl-D and Return, which should result in a
"501 Method Not Implemented" complaint, which tells you that there is a
web server there.

Beyond that, here are my notes on generic causes of the error message:

    The page cannot be displayed.
      First and foremost, check the URL displayed in the Address area
of the
      browser window, or in its bottom margin, to assure that it is
valid -
      rather than a wacky URL resulting from being catapulted to some
odd
      location, either by web page defect or interfering browser
"helper"
      software.
      - Internet Explorer: Seen when you go after a URL without having a
        trailing slash (/) at the end of the URL.
      - Inappropriate URL is bookmarked as a Favorite.  ("Complex" URLs
are
        contextual and should not be used for initial entry to an area:
use its
        entry point URL.)
      - May be due to use of firewall or proxy server installed/setup.
        (Uncheck "Use a Proxy Server" and "Internet Connection
Firewall".
         In the Network Control Panel, remove any redundant Dialup
Adapters and
         TCP/IPs. Go into the Properties for TCP/IP. Make sure WINS is
         disabled. Enable DNS and gateway.  Reboot.)
      - Browser settings (Content Advisor, security levels, etc.) may
affect.
      - An incorrect entry exists in a Hosts file.
      - The Winsock.dll, Wsock32.dll, or Wsock.vxd file is missing or
damaged.
        (Beware ISPs modifying the Winsock2 section of the registry.)
      - There are multiple copies of the Winsock.dll, Wsock32.dll, or
Wsock.vxd
        file, or one of these files is in the wrong folder.
      - TCP/IP is not installed or is not functioning correctly.
      - The WinSock2 registry key is damaged.
      - The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) installation is damaged
or is not
        functioning.
      - The Rnr20.dll file is missing or damaged or the "Library Path"
value in
        the following registry key is missing or contains the wrong
location:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\
        Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000001
      - If you are using America Online (AOL) or CompuServe, there may
be
        parental control restrictions applied to the account.

 Richard Sims