ADSM-L

Large Linux clients

2005-03-28 17:23:37
Subject: Large Linux clients
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:22:05 -0500
I am having issues backing up a large Linux server (client=5.2.3.0).

The TSM server is also on a RH Linux box (5.2.2.5).

This system has over 4.6M objects.

A standard incremental WILL NOT complete successfully. It usually
hangs/times-out/etc.

The troubles seem to be related to one particular directory with
40-subdirs, comprising 1.4M objects (from the box owner).

If I point to this directory as a whole (via the web ba-client), and try
to back it up in one shot, it displays the "inspecting objects" message
and then never comes back.

If I drill down further and select the subdirs in groups of 10, it seems
to back them up, with no problem.

So, one question I have is, anyone out there backing up large Linux
systems, similar to this ?

Any suggestions on what the problem could be.

Currently, I do not have access to the error-log files since this is a
protected/firewalled system and I don't have the id/pw.