ADSM-L

Re: Preparing a tape storage pool volume for reuse

2005-03-28 12:12:03
Subject: Re: Preparing a tape storage pool volume for reuse
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:11:38 -0500
Judging by one of your other emails, is reclaimation a process to merge
partial tapes together?  If so, that really doesn't interest us.  It
doesn't fit into our backup strategy.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
03/25/2005 03:56 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Preparing a tape storage pool volume for reuse

Rob,

Again this is a fundamental concept in TSM as I stated in my previous
post I think you will need to develop your skill set in the TSM area.

No, you do not want to do DELete VOLume!  What you should be doing on
some regular basis is running reclamation on that storage pool.
Reclamation will then empty the partially used tapes.  Please refer to
the admin guide where you will find several sections discussing managing
storage pools and volumes.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE