ADSM-L

Re: Experience with mixing LTO drives in a single library

2005-03-25 16:02:19
Subject: Re: Experience with mixing LTO drives in a single library
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:02:06 -0600
Bill,

One other thing you might recommend to them is to get 2 LTO3 drives.  If
not, you are going to have problems doing space reclamation on the LTO3
volumes.  Now if they do that you could then consider partitioning the
library (3583 does support that, although I think it is an additional
option) and not having to deal with the mixed formats with in the library.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

William Boyer wrote:

I know it's supported, and the Admin Guide doesn't say very much about the
actual mechanics and pros/cons of doing it, but I have a
client that has a 3853 with 3-LTO1 drives. They have a very specific
application that requires large capacity, but a limited budget.
They are looking at adding a single LTO-3 drive to the existing library and an
additional storage column. Searching the archives I
did run across a post about having to use the specific FORMAT=ULTRIUMx instead
of FORMAT=DRIVE to create 2 separate device classes.
Then define a storage pool for the LTO-3 and direct this high capacity
application to that stgpool.

Anyone willing to share real-world experiences on defining the environment and
any problems encountered??

They are running 5.2.3.0 on AIX 5.2. I know I need to bring them up to 5.2.4.0
for LTO-3 support plus upgrade the Atape drivers.

Bill Boyer

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional" - ??