ADSM-L

Re: DELETing a volume from a DB backup

2005-03-25 15:50:47
Subject: Re: DELETing a volume from a DB backup
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:50:26 -0600
Rob,

Please don't take this wrong, I certainly don't mind the question.
However, I must say that this is such a fundamental part of TSM I am
wondering about your basic level of training here.  This product does
require some basic training in order to operate it correctly.  I
recommend taking one or even two of the available TSM classes from IBM
to get the basic skills needed.  If you can't take the formal classes
IBM has on line self paced classes as well.  Or you can do it the old
fashion way and cozy up to the TSM Administration Guide and give it a
few hours of your time.

Now in regards to your question, DB backup volumes regardless of whether
they are full, incremental or snapshot do not expire on their own (with
the exception of those managed by DRM, which is a whole separate chapter
in the Admin Guide!) and therefore require you to take action.  You must
issue the DELete VOLHistory command in order to expire those tapes and
have them become scratch tapes again.  Please look in the documentation
for the DELete VOLHistory command in order to see the correct syntax.
Also, please note you won't be able to delete your most recent DB backup
set, nor should you, if that is what you are trying to do.

Again, please don't take my comments at the beginning as an insult.  I
am merely trying to encourage you to develop the basic skill needed to
run a TSM environment.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Rob Berendt wrote:

When I use a tape volume  to perform
backup db devclass=3581dev type=full scratch=yes wait=no
How do I prepare it for later reuse?

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC