ADSM-L

Re: DR Plannning

2005-03-22 14:42:28
Subject: Re: DR Plannning
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:43:38 -0500
Hi:
We have a DR TSM in a second site we are testing to replace the prod in
case of an emergency.
We have two tape libraries. On in main location that holds copypools,
the 2nd in the DR location
holding primary storage pools. Hence no data is physically removed
offsite.
The two libraries are connected to the prod server via fibre card and
switches.

Each day (twice) the DB and config files are saved off to the DR TSM
server:

-rw-------   1 root     sys      9663676416 Mar 22 04:09 11482037.dbb
-rw-------   1 root     sys      3949809129 Mar 22 04:13 11482588.dbb
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys          106000 Mar 22 05:30
20050322.053001
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys            1962 Mar 22 04:01
devconfig.info
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys             431 Mar 22 04:01 dsmserv.dsk
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           17761 Mar 22 04:01 dsmserv.opt
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys           23537 Mar 22 04:01
volhistory.info

The DR TSM server is at the same level as the prod and a devclass=file
is
defined to hold the DB for restores.

The restore senario would be:
move DB to DEV area
move other config files to correct place
add Disablesched to dsmserv.opt
invoke restore

The tape library in the alternate site is also defined to the DR
server.

The ip address and host name of the DR server is changed when it takes
over

The node is recycled and the DR TSM server takes over. ( Still testing
at this
point because we discovered I/O errors in TSM on accessing the tape
library after
the switch, without recycling the node. Not certain why, but there must
be
something more, other than tcpip and host name, that gets established
when the devices are configured to TSM)

>>> Kenny.Barnes AT GMACINSURANCE DOT COM 03/22/2005 2:27:49 PM >>>
We are currently looking to bring up a second location which will be
running TSM with it's own library.  I plan to partition the library
and
have tapes shipped there instead of current off-site vendor.  I would
also like to have a stand-by TSM server in the second location along
with the database and logs for the primary location ftp'd daily (or
use
virtual volumes) and loaded using scripting to restore db daily.
Anyone
doing anything close to this?  Particually interested in how scripting
is setup?

TSM 5.2
Solaris 9
V880 and a 2900
3584 library in both locations.

Kenny Barnes
Enterprise Storage Team
GMAC Insurance
336-770-8280
Kenny.Barnes AT gmacinsurance DOT com

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.  Thank you.