ADSM-L

Backupsets and Export Node

2005-03-22 11:26:02
Subject: Backupsets and Export Node
From: Marco Spagnuolo <Marco_Spagnuolo AT ADSW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:07:46 -0500
TSM Server 5.2.0.0 running on the Windows platform.

We have some issues at one of our offices.  Here's what I've been able to
decipher:

There are several Netware,Linux and Windows nodes (12 total) that no
longer exist and all hardware has been reused.  They require one last
"backup/archive" of these nodes that they want kept around for a couple of
years.  Of course, since these nodes no longer physically exist, my
options are limited to backupsets and export node (I believe).  Thrown
into the mix, the IBM 3583 Tape Library is at capacity and an upgrade is
pending but will take some time to get approved.

(1).  If I do generate backupsets for these nodes, can I then delete the
filespace data to free up Tape Library space?

(2).  If I opt for export node, could I export the nodes, remove all
references to the nodes and re-import to the same TSM server if I ever
need to?

Any other options out there?

I've reads through the numerous posts on Backupsets and Export Node but
none seem to address my concerns.

Thank you

Marco