ADSM-L

Re: Questions for people using Virtual tape libraries

2005-03-21 17:55:29
Subject: Re: Questions for people using Virtual tape libraries
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:53:13 -0500
1) Sepaton states that their VTL is "TSM Certified"

2) When we initially installed our S2100-ES we did have a Fiber adapter
communication/compatibility problem.  Sepaton's response was:
A) To quickly acknowledge the problem.
B) As an interim solution Sepaton sent us a S2100-DS that did not have
the problem as it uses a different chip set (the ES used a QLogic chip
set and the DS used a LSI chip set).
C) Recreated the problem in their lab.
D) Developed a firmware update to correct the problem.
E) Delivered the firmware solution in a timely manner.
F) During this period we had regularly scheduled conference calls with
Sepaton so that both sides were aware of the status and expectations.

We have not had any problems in the period since then, ~6 months ago.

In implementing new technologies you have to expect problems, the key is
how does the vendor respond? We found Sepaton's response to be
professional, above board and competent.

H. Milton Johnson