ADSM-L

Re: Capacity Planning

2005-03-21 14:28:05
Subject: Re: Capacity Planning
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:27:51 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Jeff Kloek
>Mr. Monahan, you've given me a lot to think about, and I
>really appreciate
>it. Whild I digest all this, I'd like I to ask another related
>question.
>I've seen in the past many questions about the maximum
>operational size of
>the TSM database. I've seen responses from 50Gb to 100Gb to
>even more. Is
>there any advice from IBM in print on this that you (or anyone) know(s)
>of?

There is nothing in print, because every infrastructure is different.
The usual rules of thumb apply:

1. The faster the disk, the better the db response.
2. The more spindles the db resides on, the better the db response.
3. The more robust the CPU, the better the db response.
4. The faster the tape (and fatter the pipe from TSM server to library),
the faster the db backs up.

In short, if you get response times that you're happy with, your TSM db
is the right size.