ADSM-L

Re: Oracle TDP Expiry

2005-03-21 13:48:35
Subject: Re: Oracle TDP Expiry
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:45:31 -0500
> I have several Oracle TDP clients and the passwords have started
> expiring. I am not sure why as I did not set an expiry date on the
> clients when I defined them. Has anyone else run into this? Did you
> automate the password changes? All the clients are UNIX systems.

The TSM server defaults to expiring client passwords every 90 days.
The password expirations are taken care of automatically for clients
specifying 'passwordaccess generate' in their options files. The
backup/archive client is typically configured this way. TDP for Oracle
does not support the 'passwordaccess generate' option in Unix environments.
We have not tried to automate the password changes for our TDP clients.
We have introduced an automated warning process for TDP passwords that
are approaching expiration. A cron job on one of our Unix systems finds
TSM clients with TDP for Oracle filespaces and checks the age of
the password on each such client. If any of the passwords are within
seven days of expiration the cron job mails a warning to the DBA's.