ADSM-L

tape speeds, TSM and pase

2005-03-21 13:26:57
Subject: tape speeds, TSM and pase
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:11:35 -0500
3582 runs 131GB/hour native
3582 runs 33GB/hour TSM underneath PASE
PMR with IBM says that it is because PASE API's to talk to tape drive are
limited to size chunks and really kills the speed.  Repeat, it's a PASE
issue and not a TSM issue.
3581-H17 runs 32GB/hour TSM underneath PASE.
Therefore the better hardware of the 3582 gets you little to no speed
improvement when using TSM underneath PASE.  Just higher tape volume.
This was NOT the normal grandfather... stuff of moving stuff from disk to
tape that TSM does.  This was a TSM backup of the entire disk pool to the
tape pool to move it offsite.  Therefore that grandfather logic was not
part of the equation.

TSM command used:
backup stg backuppool lto_3581_week1

IBM says it's a limitation of PASE and have no intention of 'beefing' up
the api's to pipe data to the tape drive any faster.  Workaround:  Dump
OS/400 and try a Linux or Unix partition.

Will running TSM on a Linux partition on my i5 get me any faster response
from LTO2 and/or LTO3 tape drives than running TSM underneath PASE?

TSM 5.2.2
OS/400=V5R3M0

Rob Berendt
--