ADSM-L

Re: Exchange question - for future reference

2005-03-17 14:43:25
Subject: Re: Exchange question - for future reference
From: Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:28:08 -0600
> These are conservative stats. The customer I'm adminning TSM for right
> now got one of last night's information store backups (of 82.8GB) in
> 8440 seconds--almost 10MB/sec--on a 10/100 network.

My Exchange backup last night was 65.9GB in 1537 seconds (that's about
40 MB/s over a 1Gb/s network and with LTO G2 drives); that's being
written directly to a sequential tape pool without an intervening
random access pool.  We back up Exchange direct-to-tape because the
backup objects are very large (our largest store is 57GB) and I don't
want the large backup objects (the largest is 57GB) clobbering my
random access pool.

> I would not bother with differential backups. One full backup per day,
> with perhaps an incremental backup 12 hours after the full, would
> guarantee a maximum of 12 hours of data loss in the event of a
> catastrophe and subsequent restore. (Of course, you could do a daily
> full, and incrementals at 8 and 16 hours after the backup, for even
> greater minimization of data loss.)

I would agree with that as well.  We do a single full backup once a
day.  The only reason I would use differentials is if I were backing
up over a slow link.

Kelly