ADSM-L

Re: DSMSERV FORMAT

2005-03-14 23:28:43
Subject: Re: DSMSERV FORMAT
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:28:27 -0700
> Thanks Richard for your answer howevere we are running Windows port
> of TSM 5.3 and the dsmfmt is not supported,

It is most certainly supported. You will find it in the ..\TSM\console
directory. You can also use the TSM Management Console to format a
recovery log volume.

Check your documentation, in particular the TSM Administrator's Reference,
Appendix A.

> we are having difficulies in getting the correct syntax of the
> "dsmserv format" and is not behaving as expected.

That is good, since Richard's response was absolutely correct: Assuming
you still want to recover from the "out of log space" condition, running
"dsmserv format" will put you in a world of hurt. Read the description for
that command (also in the Admin Reference, Appendix A) and you will see
that it formats not only the recovery log, but the database, too. What you
want is to format a new recovery log *volume*, not the whole recovery log
and database. In short, you don't want "dsmserv format".

The TSM Administrator's Guide has a section that discusses recovering from
the out of log space condition. See the chapter on "Managing the Database
and Recovery Log", section "Increasing the Size of the Database or
Recovery Log", sub-section "Recovering When the Recovery Log Runs Out of
Space".

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-03-14
19:21:02: