ADSM-L

Re: unsucccessful DR test

2005-03-14 14:57:41
Subject: Re: unsucccessful DR test
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:58:37 -0500
> The consequence is that although the library showed on TSM, the info
> about where the vols resides was lost. a
> - q vol   returned info about a volume
> - a q content <vol> returned info about a volume
> but:
> - q libvol showed empty rows for the library.

> Anyone have insight, experience, or suggestions related to this
> problem?

What happened when you did the CHECKIN LIBVOLUMES?   What category were
the
volumes in from the 3494?

>>>The same definition was retained for the DR server I was trying to
use. (see below). Initially a 'q libvol' would show volumes for the
library, >>>then they would disappear. I'm not certain but it may be at
the point the lib defs were deleted, then redefined.

If you set the categories manually, it would still be the case that the
TSM
server might not know they are there.

>>> I'm not certain what you mean by this

I'm not sure wether an 'AUDIT LIBRARY' or a 'CHECKIN LIBVOLUMES' would
do this
job faster.  It's really an all-at-once alert the TSM server that it's
got a
bunch of new volumes thing...

>>> I tried an audit library and a checkin libv but it did not add
volumes

>>> I've decided to logically rename the devices for the library so
they match the devices as they are on the production server, e.g., rmt2.
rmt3,rmt4,rmt5 for libB. Then there should not be a need to delete and
redefine the drives since they would match the existing ones in the DB
when the server comes up.

- Allen S. Rout

[tsmserv2] /home/root/tsmfiles # more devconfig.info
/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS 3494ATAPE DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=DRIVE
ESTCAPACITY=41943040K MOUNTL
IMIT=2 MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=ADSMVOL LIBRARY=IBM3494A
DEFINE DEVCLASS 3494BTAPE DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=DRIVE
ESTCAPACITY=41943040K MOUNTL
IMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=ADSMVOL
LIBRARY=IBM3494B
DEFINE DEVCLASS ADSMDBBK DEVTYPE=FILE FORMAT=DRIVE MAXCAPACITY=9437184K
MOUNTLIM
IT=1 DIRECTORY=/var/tsmdbbk SHARED=NO
SET SERVERNAME BACKUP
DEFINE LIBRARY IBM3494A LIBTYPE=349X PRIVATECATEGORY=300
SCRATCHCATEGORY=302 SHA
RED=NO
DEFINE LIBRARY IBM3494B LIBTYPE=349X PRIVATECATEGORY=300
SCRATCHCATEGORY=302 SHA
RED=NO
DEFINE DRIVE IBM3494B 3590RMT0 ONLINE=Yes WWN="5005076300002D9B"
SERIAL="0000000
C0629"
DEFINE DRIVE IBM3494B 3590RMT1 ONLINE=Yes WWN="5005076300003904"
SERIAL="0000000
C0614"
DEFINE DRIVE IBM3494B 3590RMT2 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE DRIVE IBM3494B 3590RMT3 ONLINE=Yes
DEFINE PATH BACKUP IBM3494A SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY
DEVICE=/dev/lmcp0 ON
LINE=YES
DEFINE PATH BACKUP IBM3494B SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY
DEVICE=/dev/lmcp1 ON
LINE=YES
DEFINE PATH BACKUP 3590RMT0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
LIBRARY=IBM3494B DEVIC
E=/dev/rmt0 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH BACKUP 3590RMT1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
LIBRARY=IBM3494B DEVIC
E=/dev/rmt1 ONLINE=YES